Lewisville Bible Church was organized May 13, 1955 under the pastoral leadership of Rev. Paul Mercer. It began with 28 charter members. Ten of the first members were under the age of 18 years of age; three were widows and three young adults. The charter members were: Viola Watson, Edith Reed, Robert A. Balderston, Maevi Balderston, Robin Balderston, Sharon Balderston, Alton E. McKenzie, Beatrice McKenzie, Jimmy McKenzie, Johnny McKenzie, Everett Denison, Katherine Denison, Mike Denison, David Denison, Reveau Stewart, Jane Stewart, Carolyn Stewart, Rev. Paul Mercer, Maudie Mercer, Sue Mercer, Paula Mercer, Claude Fomby, Barbara Fomby, Wilma Hughes, Nancy Hughes, Tina Romans, Betty Stewart, and Eddie B. Witt.
Lewisville Bible Church has been blessed with many committed men who have willingly and faithfully served as elders and deacons. They have used their talents and spiritual gifts to build up the church spiritually. Those who served as the first board of Elders were: Everett Denison, Reveau Stewart, Nip McKenzie, Bob Balderston, and Claude Fomby.
The first eleven months of services were held in the home of Reveau and Jane Stewart in Old Town, Lewisville. Construction on the main sanctuary began in June, 1955. The congregation began to hold services in the building on April 4, 1956. The church building was dedicated to the Lord on May 13, 1956.
The first educational wing of the building was completed in 1960. The two lots adjoining the church property on the south were purchased in 1964. The church steeple was added in May, 1965. The second educational building and a much needed foyer for the sanctuary were dedicated in 1975. The remaining property on the south side of the church was purchased in 1982.
Eleven men were ordained by the church to go into the Gospel ministry. They are as follows:
- Paul Mercer, founding pastor of Lewisville Bible Church
- Rod Lewis, missionary with UFM to Brazil
- John Stoot, Village Missions
- Larry Hower, missionary with CAM International in Mexico and leadership for Cuban ministries.
- Lamar McCormick
- Paul (Doc) Henry, pastored in Lubbock, Texas and ministers in Austin, Texas
- Tommy Collinsworth
- Mike Bellah
- James Lavender, pastored in Lousiana and Texas
- John Astling, assistant pastor at Lewisville Bible Church and serves in Lousiana
- Bob Graf
During the early years of the church Brother Mercer held Bible Studies in homes of Hall and Doris Lavender, Hoyt and Jane Reed, and Vernon and Evelyn Dubberly and in a number of other homes. A good number of people came to faith in Christ through the home Bible Study ministry. Brother Mercer and his wife, Maudie, served the Lord faithfully at Lewisville Bible Church for 28 years.
Following Brother Mercer’s ministry Ben Bailey came to serve as pastor with his wife Judy and their four children. Under Ben Bailey’s leadership the Board of Deacons was established. Those who served as the first Deacons were: Eddie Mullens, Wayne Pennington, Theon Pike, Curt Sperle, Clif Waite, and Don Willis.
Bob Hendry and Oliver Price served in interim ministry until Ken Rogers was called to serve.
Ken Rogers came to serve as pastor with his wife, Lou Ann, and their two sons, Dan and Nate, in March 1987. He introduced the ministry of the Awana Clubs for children age 4 through Middle School. The clubs began in December, 1988. Our AWANA Club now extends from age 3 through High School. The Lord has blessed the clubs with around 30 adult leaders for each Awana club season.
A Men’s Discipleship class taught by Pastor Rogers was started in 1992 with the following men in the first class: Larry Wallace, Duane Baade, Keith McIntyre, Lee Kaminski, Newland Willard, and Dennis Ciolkaz.
There is currently an active Men’s Bible Study taught by Doak Sides and a Women’s Bible Study.
We are pleased to have several home Bible Studies (small groups) which meet on a regular basis to study God’s Word and to interact in Christian fellowship.